Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Whole30 Crab-Stuffed Tilapia




So, one of the things I like to do when I'm trying to stick to Whole30 but craving something specific is search the Whole9 Life forums. A lot of times though, what I find is a list of compliant ingredients but not a recipe I can actually follow along. That was the situation I found myself in when I had a really weird craving for a dish from a local restaurant, Cap City. This particular one wasn't too bad but it might not be very easy to follow if you weren't already familiar with this dish. So I took a crack at it. And while my cooking certainly isn't Cap City-worthy, I have to say, this is pretty damn tasty. Also, I do my homework on my Whole30 recipes but please double check! I would hate to ruin it for you at day 25 because I missed something. 










Whole30 Crab-Stuffed Tilapia

Ingredients

  • 4 tbsp. ghee
  • 1/2 of a medium to small onion, diced
  • 1/2 half of a red pepper, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 8 oz. crab meat
  • 1/3 cup Paleo mayo ( if you're grossed out by this stuff like I am, you can skip it)
  • 4 tbsp almond meal
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • A few shakes of seafood seasoning (I recommend Old Bay). or make your own cajun seasoning
  • 4-6 tilapia fillets
  • Salt, pepper, paprika to taste


Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Saute diced onion, red pepper and celery in ghee until soft. 
  3. Once vegetables are are cooked, let them cool to room temperate. 
  4. Once cool, mix in crab, mayo (if you're using it), almond meal, egg and a few shakes of your seasoning. 
  5. Most of the tilapia fillets I had were too thick so I cut them down the middle lengthwise. Then I cut a pocket for the crab filling. Kind of gross but it worked
  6. Lay fillets flat and spoon on crab filling. I used about 1 1/2 tbsp for each. 
  7. Roll them up and use a toothpick to secure them. Then lay them seam side down on a baking sheet. 
  8. Drizzle with a little ghee, salt, pepper and paprika. This will also help keep them from sticking although you may want to lightly grease the pan with some olive oil. 
  9. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment