Monday, November 11, 2013

Apples

This seems to be an unpopular sentiment but I don’t really like fall. It means the end of summer and that winter is on its way. There’s also that weird nostalgic feeling associated with it. Plus, I don’t like pumpkin flavor. You know what I do like, though? Apples. So like everyone in the state, I really love apple picking. This is one of the few things I have in common with my fall-loving friends. Our orchard of choice is Lawrence Orchards, which is close to Evan’s hometown. We go every year around this time to enjoy the weather before it gets too cold, play with the farm animals and get enough apples to make a cobbler or two. Early in our relationship, neither one of us had a proper baking dish to make it in and had to improvise with a meatloaf pan. This made for an unevenly cooked end product but if you add enough sugar, pretty much anything is edible. Thanks to our awesome friends and family fulfilling things on our wedding registry, we now have the appropriate tools to make a perfect cobbler. The smell of apples, cinnamon and sugar baking in the oven is almost enough to make me start liking fall. 












   
The cobbler and apple cider-making process. 
Sami's Shenanigans

No comments:

Post a Comment