Happy New Years btw. The older I get, the more it seems
people my age don’t like New Years Eve. That’s because we’re getting to be old
people. Not boring, mind you. Just old. I fully intend to be just as witty,
sassy and lively as Blanche Devereaux until I die.
![]() |
| Thanks, Buzzfeed. |
But uh yeah, the whole crowded bar scene, dealing with drunk
strangers, not being able to take your shoes off for fear of tetanus, trying to
get a cab, etc, etc…does get a little old.
The one benefit of getting older – some of us have nicer
apartments now. Yay! So to ring in the new year, we went to a good
old-fashioned house party. Hosted by the Kerny Monster. Everyone in this blog
is going to need an alias…
Before that, we had a nice grown-up meal at Nicola Restaurant and Bar. It gets my stamp of approval. Good Italian food and they
even had a dude playing the accordion. So you know it’s classy.
Now, I know some people think it’s cliché or whatever but I
enjoy making New Year’s Resolutions. I think we’re all aware that typically,
they don’t stick the entire year. But I don’t see a down side in trying to improve
something about yourself. If you don't make it the whole year, then at least
you tried.
So without further ado, here are mine:
Get Caught Up on Doctor’s Appointments
This is slightly embarrassing but I haven’t been to a dentist in….well…..years. I seriously hate it. I HATE the way it feels when they scrape and poke at your teeth. Ugh, sets me on edge. I know I’m not alone in this. If they served wine or something in the waiting room, I might be able to get into that. Anyway, it’s time and I need to go. Also, I seriously need a new prescription for my glasses. Oh yeah and new glasses. It probably wouldn’t hurt to have some kind of annual physical either. There’s really no good reason why I haven’t done any of these things. It’s time to be a big kid and just do it.Get More Sleep
I have always been a “night owl.” If you
consider a night owl someone who stays up until 2 to 3 am regularly, that is. I
think that’s maybe an insomniac. This worked out pretty well for me in high
school because I apparently didn’t need sleep and just watched Adult Swim all
night.
![]() |
| If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea... |
It worked out for me in college because there were always
people willing to hang out that late and I could conveniently nap during the
day. Since entering adulthood, this has not worked out. I don’t go to bed at 3
am but midnight or 1 am isn’t unheard of. And now, pretty much every day, I
have to get up at 6:30 am. So that sucks. As unnatural as it feels, I’m going
to force myself to go to bed at 10:30, knowing I won’t fall asleep until 11.
And then maybe I can trick my body into following a normal schedule that it
hasn’t been in sync with for 26 years…who knows.
Eat Things in Moderation
I’m not talking specifically
about junk food, although that could apply. I’ve found that so often I continue
to eat even after I’m full just for the sake of finishing what’s in front of
me. I also notice that I will eat stuff just because it’s there, not because I’m
hungry. This resolution isn’t so much about losing weight as it is working on
having more control over the mental reasons why I eat. If that makes sense. So,
I want to allow myself to eat things that I enjoy but not stuff myself until I
feel sick and not mindlessly consume things my body doesn’t need.
![]() |
| To illustrate my point is Honey Boo Boo. |
Drink more water
Just…drink more of it. That’s all.
If you’ve made any resolutions this year, good luck to you!



No comments:
Post a Comment