Monday, December 3, 2012

Adult Tutus


Earlier this year, I got a random spurt of inspiration. “I should run a half marathon,” I thought to myself! I’ll have to be active more often to stick to the running schedule. I’ll have to eat better so I can complete my runs. I’ll have more energy! I’ll lose some weight! I’ll achieve a major goal I’ve set for myself! This will force me to change my lifestyle!

I am proud to say that I achieved the biggest of those goals. I finished the race and even got a better time than what I was shooting for. The rest of them…didn’t exactly happen.

My expectation upon finishing a half marathon:
-Feel overwhelming sense of satisfaction
-Continue running several times a week
-Maybe start training for full marathon??
-Eat well and live more healthily overall.

What actually happened upon finishing a half marathon:
-Did indeed feel sense of satisfaction
-Ate McDonald’s for lunch and lay on couch for the rest of the day
-Realized that knee had been injured during race
-Could barely walk next day and had noticeable limp for about a week
-Refused to go to the doctor for no apparent reason other than laziness/stubbornness
-Ran a total of 3 times in following month for total of 6 miles.

Clearly, this is one of many times that expectation did not meet reality. However, one nice thing that came from this was that E$ also started running with me. He didn’t train with me for the full 13 miles but he worked his way up to some longer runs. So to keep myself motivated and to do something fun together we signed up for a 5k.

We decided to do the Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis. The cause has some meaning for us and I had heard it was a good time. Here’s the website if you want to check it out.


Bonus: apparently wearing tutus and other costumes is a thing at this race.

One of my girlfriends ran it too and we simply could not miss this opportunity. It only took one evening, some elastic and some tulle to make two adult tutus. I’m not trying to brag or anything but some lady at the race DID ask us where we bought them. Store bought. As if. Clearly, we are professionals.


Working it. 

Also, here’s a picture of the whole gang right before it started. Some kindly giant was nice enough to take it for us.

Frans. 

The race, since you asked, went really well. This was E$’s first 5k! We decided to stay together and finished in a little under 29 minutes. Pretty good if you ask me!

Better picture of the tutu. 

Another huge plus in my book – after you’re done you get free Max & Erma’s tortilla soup. Kinda weird to eat after running but so delicious.

I’m glad that after all the training I did for the half, I can say that I accomplished it. But I also have to say, getting to run something with someone else and not feeling like death the entire rest of the weekend is really nice too.


I also like being able to walk normally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment