Thursday, October 31, 2013

"Spooky, Scary" Halloween Playlist

Although, I'm not really a fan of fall, I seriously love Halloween. I'm not sure why. I don't really even like scary movies and I'm clearly over trick or treating age. But I do enjoy coming up with costume ideas and my co-workers usually bring in their kids' extra candy, so there's that too. Plus, (as you'll see), I really like retro Halloween stuff. E$ and I watched a ton of Universal Monster movies the other weekend.

Unfortunately, we don't have any plans to go out this year (I'm still in recovery mode from the wedding). So instead, I decided to put together a playlist to listen to at work and eat copious amounts of candy. We all know/love Monster Mash and Thriller, but here are some alternatives to spice up your Halloween playlist this year: 

Dead Man's Bones - In the Room Where You Sleep

Did you know Ryan Gosling has a band? He does and it's wonderfully weird. He and Zach Shields started Dead Man's Bones after they discovered their shared love of ghosts and the Disney Haunted Mansion. For real. The result is an album of the same name, full of a haunting and catchy "love songs about ghosts and monsters." The entire album is "Halloween," themed but this is one of my favorite songs.


Buddy Baker (original composer) - Grim Grinning Ghosts (Blarsa Remix)


Speaking of the Haunted Mansion, someone took the liberty of remixing the song from the ride and posting it on Youtube. Thanks for that.

The Specials- Ghost Town

Otherwise known as the song from the beginning of Shaun of the Dead.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - This is Halloween

There are a lot of different versions of this. Panic! At the Disco and Marilyn Manson covered it and there are an endless amount of techno and dustep remixes online. However, I prefer to listen to the original version, the way Tim Burton intended it. 

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon 

I asked E$ for some suggestions. This was his pick. I guess it fits. 



The Cheers - The Monster Hop

I ran across this, "Monster Mash," alternative while Googling, "retro halloween songs." It obviously never caught on the way, "Monster Mash," did but it's still fun!

The Misfits - Halloween

I would be remiss not to include Glenn Danzig somewhere on his list. Like Dead Man's Bones, pretty much any Misfits album could work as "Halloween," songs. So, I just went with the aptly named, "Halloween." 

Roky Erikson - I Walked with a Zombie

Another of E$'s picks and another monster-themed album. Good job at liking some of the most random music ever, Evan. Now I know about it too. 

Bonus Songs: 


Rob Zombie - Dragula

Remember when Rob Zombie was considered dark and scary? Now, he just complains about the neighborhood kids being too loud. Still, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a time in the late 90s that I didn't walk around singing "Living Dead Girl," (much to my parents' chagrin). Take a trip back to 1998 with this video and see what was considered edgy back then. I have to admit...it's still pretty weird. 

Tracy Jordan/Morgan - Werewolf Bar Mitzvah


What started as a throwaway line on 30 Rock has turned into it's own thing. Buzzfeed explains it best while making the case that it's "the greatest Halloween song of all time."

And there you have it! What do you think? Am I missing something? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment