Monday, February 11, 2013

DIY (kind of) vanity

 Pretty exciting day, guys. A project I've been working on here and there since this summer is pretty close to being done. After we moved in, E$'s mom gave us a table she didn't want.
Pretty standard table. 4 legs and whatnot.  
I've been wanting a vanity for awhile but haven't been willing to pay for one. We don't have a lot of storage in our apartment but we've got a lot of stuff. I wanted to get some of my jewelry, belts and purses out of the boxes and drawers where they had been packed away.

So, I decided to try to make this table work. It needed a little sprucing up but I could see the potential. One problem though. It was way too big. So, like I usually do in these situations, I asked my dad to fix it.
Yay! Thanks Dad!
He pretty easily sawed off each edge of the table and sanded them down. And because he's a real man, he didn't even use a level.

Next, I needed to fix the knob on the drawer because as you can see the old one was broken.



Oddly enough I already had this yellow one from another project. Without making myself sound like too much of a hoarder, I always keep extra paint so I already had a can of white to use too. Do I have a problem??

Anyway, here's a picture of the finished product.


I looked around a couple of weeks until I found a mirror for a price I liked. So far, this project cost me nothing and I wanted to keep it as close to that as possible! I got this mirror from Home Goods for about $40.

The bin on the floor is also from Home Goods and holds my belts and some clutches. It was $12.


I bought this ceramic egg crate thing from Target when it was on sale for $5. It's pretty much become a catchall for pieces of broken jewelry I'm hoarding saving for future projects, lip gloss and everything else.


I also bought two white hooks to hang up heavier necklaces which cost $4 from Hobby Lobby. The lamp and picture frame/jewelry holders I already had.

Another DIY adventure
The table itself has kind of become a place for weird things I don't want to get rid of but have no place for like this candle from the Candle Lab I never burn (because I don't like candles) and this uh...jar of buttons which I totally could throw away but haven't because it needs to sit on the vanity. Omg, I do have a problem.



Total I spent, about $61. Although, at some point, I plan on making a little bench for it too so I'm not quite done.

Yay, super crafting!

2 comments:

  1. omg i love it!! it looks awesome! and i totally get the button hoarding. i used to play in a box of buttons... for fun. own it!!

    ReplyDelete